Skip to Main Content

The History of Anderson Hospital

With nearly 200,000 patients annually relying on Anderson Hospital for their health care, it is hard to imagine our community being without an area hospital. Anderson Hospital is “making a difference” today thanks to the work of many dedicated people spanning many decades.

The Timeline

1920
The need for an area hospital was first voiced when Anna Forberg Cook offered to give Collinsville a site on St. Clair Avenue on which to build a hospital. But with the city unable to finance the project, the idea was withdrawn. At almost the same time, the neighboring city of Edwardsville was also trying for a hospital only to find no available financial support.
1940
The idea was revived in both towns again. In Collinsville, a proposal for a township hospital, requiring taxes to build and support the facility, lost 7 to 1. In Edwardsville, a non-profit corporation was formed, and a 10-acre site was donated.
1945 – 1948
A $300,000 fund drive was launched in 1945, but by 1948 only a quarter of the goal had been collected, so the idea was then abandoned.
1960
Edwardsville leaders resurrected the idea once more with a referendum for a tax-supported hospital, but the idea never passed. At the same time, leaders in Collinsville were talking about the possibility of building JFK Hospital, a satellite hospital of St. Mary's in East St. Louis. Funds were raised, and a site was purchased, only to have the idea once again fold due to the lack of support.
1967
The idea was dropped with the land eventually becoming the site of Unit 10's Greenwood Collinsville High School campus. Most money was received back by donors, while others "let it ride" for a new effort.
1968
Donors would finally support a successful campaign when Collinsville and Edwardsville joined forces by incorporating a steering committee, the Central Madison County Hospital Association (CMCHA). The CMCHA was comprised of people from Collinsville, Edwardsville, Maryville, Troy, Hamel, Glen Carbon, and Caseyville. At that time, Aden Klump of the State Department of Public Health advised the group to seek a hospital management organization.
1969
After meetings with many hospital operating agencies, the CMCHA unanimously voted to merge with the St. Clair Hospital Association under the name of Southwestern Illinois Health Facilities, Inc. The proposed hospital would be an affiliate of Christian Welfare Hospital in East St. Louis, which was also operated by the St. Clair Hospital Association.
1971
A major fund-raising campaign was then conducted by Haney Associates, Inc., an area firm hired by Southwestern Illinois Health Facilities, Inc. Paid professionals and hundreds of volunteers spent thousands of hours raising funds to meet their goal of $1 million.

Some of the key volunteers who headed up the campaign were Frank L. Flanigan, of Edwardsville, who served as campaign chairman for Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Hamel, Marine, and Troy; William G. Jokerst, of Collinsville, who served as campaign chairman for Collinsville, Caseyville, and Maryville; Earl E. Jukes, of Collinsville, who served as vice chairman of the Collinsville area campaign; and Vivian Kraft, of Collinsville, who served as general drive chairman.
1972
The work of these and hundreds of other dedicated volunteers paid off when a total of $1,774,436.15 had been raised, surpassing the goal by almost three-quarters of a million dollars.
1974
On April 21, 1974, the work of many years came one step closer to reality as ground was broken for the construction of the hospital.
1977
Anderson Hospital opened its doors in Maryville, Ill. to patients on January 5, 1977.
The need for an area hospital was first voiced when Anna Forberg Cook offered to give Collinsville a site on St. Clair Avenue on which to build a hospital. But with the city unable to finance the project, the idea was withdrawn. At almost the same time, the neighboring city of Edwardsville was also trying for a hospital only to find no available financial support.
1920
The idea was revived in both towns again. In Collinsville, a proposal for a township hospital, requiring taxes to build and support the facility, lost 7 to 1. In Edwardsville, a non-profit corporation was formed, and a 10-acre site was donated.
1940
A $300,000 fund drive was launched in 1945, but by 1948 only a quarter of the goal had been collected, so the idea was then abandoned.
1945 – 1948
Edwardsville leaders resurrected the idea once more with a referendum for a tax-supported hospital, but the idea never passed. At the same time, leaders in Collinsville were talking about the possibility of building JFK Hospital, a satellite hospital of St. Mary's in East St. Louis. Funds were raised, and a site was purchased, only to have the idea once again fold due to the lack of support.
1960
The idea was dropped with the land eventually becoming the site of Unit 10's Greenwood Collinsville High School campus. Most money was received back by donors, while others "let it ride" for a new effort.
1967
Donors would finally support a successful campaign when Collinsville and Edwardsville joined forces by incorporating a steering committee, the Central Madison County Hospital Association (CMCHA). The CMCHA was comprised of people from Collinsville, Edwardsville, Maryville, Troy, Hamel, Glen Carbon, and Caseyville. At that time, Aden Klump of the State Department of Public Health advised the group to seek a hospital management organization.
1968
a group of men standing next to each other in a field.
After meetings with many hospital operating agencies, the CMCHA unanimously voted to merge with the St. Clair Hospital Association under the name of Southwestern Illinois Health Facilities, Inc. The proposed hospital would be an affiliate of Christian Welfare Hospital in East St. Louis, which was also operated by the St. Clair Hospital Association.
1969
a man in a suit standing in front of a hospital campaign truck.
A major fund-raising campaign was then conducted by Haney Associates, Inc., an area firm hired by Southwestern Illinois Health Facilities, Inc. Paid professionals and hundreds of volunteers spent thousands of hours raising funds to meet their goal of $1 million.

Some of the key volunteers who headed up the campaign were Frank L. Flanigan, of Edwardsville, who served as campaign chairman for Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Hamel, Marine, and Troy; William G. Jokerst, of Collinsville, who served as campaign chairman for Collinsville, Caseyville, and Maryville; Earl E. Jukes, of Collinsville, who served as vice chairman of the Collinsville area campaign; and Vivian Kraft, of Collinsville, who served as general drive chairman.
1971
The work of these and hundreds of other dedicated volunteers paid off when a total of $1,774,436.15 had been raised, surpassing the goal by almost three-quarters of a million dollars.
1972
a group of people standing around a pile of dirt.
On April 21, 1974, the work of many years came one step closer to reality as ground was broken for the construction of the hospital.
1974
a parking lot full of cars in front of a building.
Anderson Hospital opened its doors in Maryville, Ill. to patients on January 5, 1977.
1977
"The hospital has become a reality because of the efforts of so many people who have worked together for a common goal.

Selling the idea of a hospital was never difficult because the people knew the need existed. And the men, women, and organizations who made pledges have kept their word in fulfilling a moral obligation."
- William Jokerst

Anderson Hospital Has Been Serving the Community Since 1977

Flash forward to today, a lot has changed and evolved—our facilities, our team, and our medical services. However, one thing has always remained the same—our commitment to our patients’ health and well-being.
magnifiercross