Breastfeeding Support Classes
Classes offered at Anderson
Anderson Hospital offers many prenatal classes for expectant parents. Our classes provide expectant parents with information important in the care and development of newborns, hands-on demonstrations, and instructors who can answer all of your questions. Many of these classes include breastfeeding education, demonstrations, and technique components. Classes are taught by registered nurses from the Pavilion for Women.
This class offers the most comprehensive presentation of breastfeeding information for parents and support persons. This class is designed for those who are considering breastfeeding or have already decided to pursue breastfeeding. The basic components are covered as well as returning to work, pumping, apparel, lifestyle changes, and other related topics. Demonstrations and DVD clips are incorporated. Questions are encouraged and welcomed. The fee for this class covers the cost of the birth mother and a support person.
Introduction to Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding’s Benefits
- An inside look at Breastfeeding
- Skin 2 Skin
- Cues and Signals
- What mom needs to know
- How much is enough?
- Speed Bumps
- The Breastfeeding Lifestyle
- Hands of skills lab for you to practice your new skills
Other classes offered at Anderson
Prepared childbirth, Prep School for Dads, and Here Comes Baby all address the basic components of breastfeeding. Participants in each class will gain knowledge of:
- How breastfeeding benefits the infant and mother
- Breastfeeding support available during the hospital stay and after discharge
- The importance of the first feeding
- Common frequency and duration of feedings
- Infant hunger cues
- The lactation station inside the Pavilion for Women
Click here for additional classes offered to prepare the family for birth.