Breastfeeding Support Services
At the Obstetrics Pavilion for Women, we provide pregnant women with breastfeeding support, including education, demonstrations, and various techniques. Our goal is to guide new mothers through aa rewarding breastfeeding experience and a smooth transition into motherhood. If you are planning to breastfeed your newborn, our team of registered nurses will support you through your journey to help provide the best possible experience for you and your baby.
Our breastfeeding class serves as a comprehensive guide for expectant mothers and their support partners. It covers essential topics such as getting started breastfeeding, returning to work, pumping, clothing, lifestyle changes, and more. The class includes demonstrations, and we welcome questions from all participants. The fee covers the cost for the birth mother and one support person. Whether you are considering breastfeeding your baby or have already decided to do so, this class is for you.
The agenda to our breastfeeding class includes the following:
- Introduction to breastfeeding
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- An inside look at breastfeeding
- Skin to skin
- Infant hunger cues and signals
- Breastfeeding frequency and duration of feedings
- The speedbumps of breastfeeding
- Returning to work while breastfeeding
Lactation Consultation Appointment
If you are experiencing issues while breastfeeding your baby or if you have any questions or concerns, we have lactation consultants available to assist you on your breastfeeding journey. We recommend scheduling a lactation consultation if you are experiencing any of the following while breastfeeding your baby:
- Baby has low output
- Baby continually falls asleep at the breast and does not keep a continuous pattern of suckle-swallow for 15-20 minutes per feeding
- Baby has lost more than 7% of birth weight
- Baby is unsettled and cries excessively
- Baby typically feeds more than an hour
- Baby is not gaining as much weight as your infant’s provider would like
- You are anxious and concerned about your milk supply
- Your breasts are engorged or in pain
- You are experiencing difficulties or discomfort with nursing
- Your nipples are sore, cracked, or bleeding
- You think your milk supply is low
- You have questions about the medications you are taking
- You need help selecting a breast pump
- You need help fitting or using your breast pump
Our lactation specialists are here to help without judgment and will work with your baby’s physician as needed to develop the best plan for you and your baby. To make an appointment, call 618.391.6057. There are no upfront fees due at your appointment. Some insurance plans cover this service.
Contact the Obstetrics Pavilion for Women
6800 State Route 162
Maryville, Illinois 62062
Breastfeeding Community Resources
Congratulations on your decision to embark on the beautiful journey of breastfeeding! At Anderson Hospital, we are committed to providing you with all the support and resources you need to ensure a successful and fulfilling breastfeeding experience.
Our comprehensive breastfeeding community resources are designed to empower and assist mothers like you throughout every stage of your breastfeeding journey. Whether you are expecting, a new mother, or seeking support during your breastfeeding journey, we have a range of resources to meet your nee
All physicians, physicians' assistants, and nurse practitioners providing services in this hospital are independent contractors or provide service under contract. They are not employees, agents, or servants of Anderson Hospital. These professionals are responsible for their own medical judgement, actions, and billing.