Preparing for Surgery
To prepare for your surgical procedure at Anderson Hospital, please follow our basic surgery preparation instructions.
- Please arrive at the Outpatient Surgery Pavilion located on Vadalabene Drive. You will be asked to arrive up to two hours before your scheduled surgery time. Please note that you may receive a call regarding a time change the day before your surgery. The doors to the Outpatient Surgery Pavilion open at 6 a.m.
- Patients may drink clear liquids, such as water or Sprite, up until 3 hours before surgery with a maximum of 20 ounces. This does not include dark liquids, such as coffee or cola.
- Patients cannot have food starting at midnight until their scheduled surgery time.
- Infants may have breast milk until four hours before and formula up until six hours before their surgery. Please bring prepared bottles, pacifiers, or sippy cups.
- Prior to your surgery, you will receive guidance on whether you need to take any medication on the day of the procedure or if you need to avoid taking medications beforehand.
- Please refrain from wearing any make-up, nail polish, hairspray, perfume, deodorant, or body powder on the day of your surgery.
- Before surgery, all jewelry and piercings must be removed and may need to be cut off.
- Take a shower the night before or the morning of with an antibacterial soap.
- Wear loose-fitting comfortable clothing to your surgical appointment. Children can wear pajamas.
- On the day of your surgery, please remember to leave all valuable items, including medications, at home.
- If the plan is for you to go home after surgery, you will need a licensed driver to transport you home. Public transportation is not permitted unless you are accompanied by another adult.
- We suggest that you have a companion stay with you the night after your surgery.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol, driving, or making important decisions until the following day after your surgery.
- For pediatric patients undergoing surgery, we recommend two adults accompany the child.
- Only two visitors are allowed to be with a patient at any given time.
- Please make sure to follow any additional instructions that your surgeon may have provided you with.
- On the day of your surgery, please remember to bring your photo identification and insurance card.
If you have specific questions regarding your surgery, contact the department directly for more information.
All physicians, physicians' assistants, and nurse practitioners providing services in this hospital are independent contractors or provide service under contract. They are not employees, agents, or servants of Anderson Hospital. These professionals are responsible for their own medical judgement, actions, and billing.